Monday, August 23, 2010

5) Favorite Tv Shows Pt. 1 (Scripted)

Hello, hello everyone! It's Josh here!
Newbies: Welcome Along!
Returns: Welcome Back!

With Autumn rapidly approaching, we begin yet another round of new and old television shows in the programming lineup. Who will stay & who will go? It depends...

Despite the continued popularity of reality tv shows (due in part to its lower production costs), I still hold a preference for scripted shows. For me, scripted shows tend to be tighter in form (even with the looser plot lines that Aristotle probably wouldn't be too fond of), higher in overall quality, and much more emotionally compelling.

TvByTheNumbers is a nifty little site that I discovered this summer. It's where tv junkies like myself can keep current on how all their favorite shows are doing. So in honor of Fall tv and this "handy dandy notebook site" here are my favorite regularly watched scripted shows currently on the air:

****Network****

ABC
Modern Family (Sharpest comedy on tv)
Cougar Town (Love Courtney Cox)
Brothers & Sisters (Sally Field is a fav)
Desperate Housewives (Still desperate as ever)
Grey's Anatomy (Season 6 finale was the best episode of the series, with the bomb episode a close 2nd)
           
NBC
Parks & Recreation (Amy is all-out wonderful)
Community (Modern Warfare was the best episode yet)
The Office (Of course)
Chuck (I love how this show has grown)
Parenthood (Lauren Graham Cracker= love)

FOX
Glee (Simply amazing *insert feelings of awe and jealousy*)

****Cable****

FX
Archer (Hilarious, Infuriating, & Cracked out!)

SYFY
Warehouse 13 (So creative & fun. Be sure to have Wikipedia at the ready when watching...)
Eureka (Geniusly quirky)

SHOWTIME
Weeds (Nancy Botwin is a hot mess...)
Nurse Jackie (... and so is Jackie)
United States of Tara (Toni Collette= wow)
The Big C (Really promising)
Dexter (Michael C. Hallway is brilliant)

HBO
True Blood (Sookie! Bill! Sookie! Bill!...Eric!)
Hung

TOTAL: 21 scripted shows. How do I ever get anything done?!

**Honorable Mentions: These are shows that I don't watch regularly but support with my heart and wish continued success.

Breaking Bad, The Closer, Damages, The Gates, The Good Wife, House, Justified, Mad Men, Psych, Rizzoli & Isles, Royal Pains, White Collar, V

1st Arêteen Blog Reader Question!: 
What are your favorite scripted tv shows to watch? Let me know in the comment box below or on the Arêteen Facebook or Twitter pages! Spread the word!

Until next time...

"Live Excellently"

-Josh:)

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I don't watch many TV shows faithfully, and of the ones I do keep up with, most are reality shows. But I agree with how you describe scripted shows. My faves are Psych and NCIS. I keep up with Psych, and I love that you have it on your list though it is an Honorable Mention. I'm not up-to-date with NCIS at all, but I love how if I'm bored I can count on an NCIS marathon and its interesting characters to entertain me.

    ReplyDelete