Sunday, December 19, 2010

Spring Cleaning the Houseplants of My Mind

Hey Areteens!


         I can be obsessive. Mostly, though, I obsess over ideas. When an idea develops in my mind Possibility Floods from the Nile Aisle of Creativity unlock the gates encasing the newly germinating seed, allowing it to grow and take over my mind. It is kind of like having an indoor houseplant that is so comfortable and resilient in its surroundings, it just grows so rapidly. Too rapidly. Inevitably, I begin feeling this mixture of excitement and anxiety over the awesomeness of the idea, which, if only I could move it out of my mind, would not overwhelm me so much.  But like most moving jobs, you need help. Enter the process and art of ‘(Pitch and) Persuasion.’ (The new Jane Austen novel. Lol! Could you imagine?! ‘A novel (and soon to be movie) chronicling a woman’s battle with hierarchy and corruption in the literary/publishing world, while she falls in love) Isn’t lovely how great ideas can come out of jokes?
            There are many films I plan to have made. Some require more direct involvement from me, while others I would like to have made on behalf of the Arêteen Company. I have an idea for the film inspired by my life, but only because the events that have transpired are too ridiculous not to be put in a film. That and my mind- my way of processing the world- is too much for me, so it must be treated like memories in a pensieve. When he feels his mind stretched a bit too thin, Dumbledore puts his memories in a pensive so he can see them more clearly. Dumbledore is not real. I love J.K Rowling and her creation Harry Potter.  I guess that’s what I’m doing right now in e-journaling (typing on my computer, not writing my thoughts out by hand). It’s not the same though. Maybe I’ll have a pensieve when I die. One can only hope.
            Overflowing, my mind is like an old woman’s house. There are too many random nick-knacks of ‘interest’ stuffed into various nook and crannies of ‘influences and inspirators,’ all of which are obscured by overgrown, resilient houseplants of ideas. I’ve started many different blogs in a vain attempt to push the plants out of my mind. Unwillingly, I realized that despite having a blog, I am not a blogger.  I don’t have the discipline to update so regularly that it would incite (and retain) public interest. As much as I enjoy talking with others, I don’t share all of my thoughts with them (at least not right away-and even then), and since I don’t enjoy writing the same way I enjoy talking (it’s requires more focus), why would I write down all my thoughts, especially for the public? If I’m not a regular journaler, why did I think I could be a regular blogger?
            It all goes back to a variation on the Golden Cardinal rule: If you wouldn’t do it to/for yourself, why would you do it to/for others? (I hope we can all see how this rule is regularly misconstrued and corrupted- shame.) At least now I know. Maybe, now I can get back to clearing out the houseplants in my mind. To spring clean is to move the houseplants outside, open the nook and crannies and dust off the nick-knacks locked inside. It is the process of discovering that which makes you tick and tock. Because, locked away in the boxes of interests lie the kernels of fear and obsession, from which the ideas grow. This is why I still blog. 


"Live Excellently"


-J:)

No comments:

Post a Comment